Hello friends! Happy snowy Monday. (Well, at least it’s snowy in my neck of the woods, hopefully you’re faring better!) This weekend I tried out a new crockpot recipe that I’m excited to share with you today. The best part is – it’s super easy! You don’t even have to cook the chicken first, you just throw everything in and you’re done. It was a hit at my house (hence, the ‘disappearing’ part – it’s almost gone!) and will definitely be added to the recipe rotation.
- 1 to 1.5 lbs raw chicken breast
- 1 medium onion chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tps cumin
- 1 tsp red cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilis
- 2 (15 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (14 oz) can of lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbs cilantro, chopped
- Optional: shredded cheese, crackers or tortilla chips
I used these recipes from Dashing Dish and Six Sisters’ Stuff as a starting off point. I molded them together and modified it to my taste. I made mine a little hotter and added some more beans. If you don’t like yours too hot, reduce or eliminate the cayenne pepper.The Dashing Diva recipe said to puree one can of beans for a thicker chili, which I may try next time. I’m also thinking of adding a jalapeno pepper next time for even more heat. Hope you like it!
- Place chicken in bottom of crock pot, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Next add the onion, oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and green chilis
- Then add the beans and corn
- Pour chicken broth over everything (If you don’t want a soupy chili, use less broth)
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours
- Add in cilantro 15 minutes before it’s done
- Shred chicken and serve.
- Optional – garnish with shredded cheese and crackers or chips.
What are your favorite crock pot recipes?
Looking for more great crock pot recipes? Check out these posts: